Sunday, September 6

Australia and New Zealand

A very funny friend of mine, I will call him "Eric" has a reputation for posting funny Tweets. I asked how he finds the volume of hilarity does does in daily life. His reply, "It's there, you just have to look for it". I have made it a point on this trip to find the humor in the daily things of life. I think I have already found a few.

Sept 7, 2009
Sydney Harbor Marriott

Ex-pat convention or U.S. colonial expansion

The Executive Lounge at the Sydney Marriott Harbor Hotel opens promptly at 6:30AM. This has been a great place to grab some fruit and a coffee in the morning. Similar to my experience upon landing in Sydney the majority of the folks around me are Americans. I know they are American because the Canadians I have observed, almost to a man, wear some sort of maple leaf or other Canadian identifier. Its as if I am still in the U.S. and I have few theories:
  • The U.S. economy is really not that bad (because everyone is on vacation)
  • The U.S. economy is so bad most of these folks are on the lam avoiding mortgage payments and living large abroad.
  • The U.S. has annexed the 30th floor of the Marriott as a U.S. territory.
This morning, of the 15 or so people there were only two who were not from America. One was the Australian door lady and the other a Vietnamese cook shuffling around making sure there were plenty of running eggs and Marmite. Now, I'm proud to be an American but it does strike me as odd that I am 12,000 miles from the U.S. border and there are more Americans in this room at the Sydney Harbor Marriott than there are right now on the corner of Hollywood and Vine in L.A.

Some of the interesting observations from this mob:
  • Two children named Sydney (not from the same family. These were Americans, not West Virginians). Novel.
  • Apparently the difference between continental breakfast and a Shoney's buffet is lost on some. Note the following comment over heard, "Is this it? Or is there another room with more stuff?"
  • "Go out? But the food here is FREE. Oh s**t Boo, they have free liquor. (Note to my friend Eric: I am not making this up).
Thanks for the space. -j.

No comments:

Post a Comment